Who is Capitol Students?

Capitol Students manages 20 properties across the UK, each designed to provide students a safe, secure and comfortable living environment and a home away from home. 

Capitol Students is a subsidiary of Singapore Press Holdings Ltd (SPH), Asia’s leading media organisation that engages minds and enriches lives across multiple languages and platforms.

Where does Capitol Students have accommodation?

We currently offer stylish and modern student accommodation options in:

  • Birmingham 
  • Bristol 
  • Glasgow 
  • Huddersfield 
  • Leeds 
  • Lincoln 
  • London 
  • Plymouth  
  • Sheffield  
  • Southampton 


Can I view a room before booking?

Sure you can! To arrange a viewing, contact the management office of your chosen student accommodation.

Do I have to be a student to live at a Capitol Students accommodation?

To take out a tenancy with us, you need to be eligible for council tax exemption. This applies to all full-time students and some part-time students. If you’re unsure, your university or college should be able to let you know.

How do I make a booking?

For all of our rooms, it’s possible to book directly with Capitol Students using our online booking services on this website.

In order for a direct booking to be confirmed, all required documents must be filled out and returned, including a guarantor agreement, tenancy agreement, initial rent payment and provision for your rent payments. Any incomplete or incorrect applications will not be accepted. A booking will only be confirmed by Capitol Students once all the necessary documentation has been supplied.

What is the cancellation policy?

If you cancel your contract before it begins, you will be subject to our cancellation terms and charges. Cancellations will only be accepted upon receipt of a completed cancellation form. Contact the main office of your chosen student accommodation to request a form.

The cancellation policy for St. Mark’s, Lincoln is slightly different.

When making a booking online with Capitol Students, you will be asked to pay a booking fee of £100, via the online platform, this is to secure the booking and that accommodation is held for you.  You will have 15 days from making the booking to sign the Assured Tenancy Agreement (AST).

If you cancel within this period (in writing by emailing us at then the fee is fully refundable. Should you fail to sign the agreement within the period then we may email you to inform you of the cancellation of your booking and to advise you that the fee will not be refunded.

Once you have signed the AST, then the booking fee will be counted as part payment towards your first rental payment.

A deposit of £250 will be required 10 days before the start of your residency, this will be collected with your first rental payment.  The deposit will be held under the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme and will be used as security against any damages to your accommodation, unpaid rent or charges incurred during the duration of the tenancy agreement.

The deposit will be refunded to you at the termination of the Tenancy Agreement minus any incurred cost as indicated above or in case of breach of any obligation under tenancy agreements, within 28 days.

Do I need to take out contents insurance?

No, you do not. Basic contents insurance cover is provided for each resident and is automatically included with your rent. Each accommodation works with a different insurance provider of their choosing. Contact the main office of your chosen student accommodation to find out more.


Do I need to pay a deposit?

We don’t take a deposit. We take a £250 advance rent payment to secure your booking. £250 is then taken off your first payment.

How do I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent by credit/debit card via the online portal of the respective student accommodations. It is also possible for payments to be made by bank transfer. You can pay your rent in full, in three instalments or on a monthly basis.

When do I pay my rent?

Our rent dates and amounts are set out clearly on the website and within our application literature. Please note: your rent may be due before the contract begins and that the dates may not coincide with student loan dates. This should be taken into consideration when planning your accommodation.

Do I need a guarantor?

If you choose to pay rent in instalments, all prospective tenants will require a UK-based guarantor.

What does being a guarantor mean?

All students who wish to take up our rent installment plan are required to provide a UK guarantor (excludes the Isle of Man and Channel Islands).

By agreeing to be a guarantor, you are signing a legal document stating that you agree to pay the rent and guarantee the behaviour of the resident if they default. Please do not sign this agreement if you do not wish to take on this responsibility.

Any student who does not have a UK guarantor will be required to pay the full year’s rent upon application.

What if I don’t pay my rent?

Daily interest may be added to the amount you owe to us. Your guarantor will be contacted and will be asked to pay the amount that you owe. The respective student accommodation will then commence legal proceedings against any resident who fails to pay the rent due. These proceedings will also include action against the resident’s guarantor.


What are the Terms and Conditions of staying with Capitol Students?

All rooms that are let directly to students are done so using an assured short-hold tenancy agreement. These agreements outline what is expected of the resident and, in turn, our obligations as a landlord.

The agreements are a legally binding document and should be read carefully. Once signed they are for a fixed term and should the resident wish to move out of the accommodation before the end date, they will remain liable for the full rent until the end of the contracted period and are responsible for the condition of the property regardless of whether they are staying in the hall or not.

For locations where you book through a university accommodation office rather than directly with Capitol Students, you may be provided with a different type of agreement. Please visit the FAQ section on the website of your chosen property for further information.

How safe are Capitol Students properties?

We take safety seriously. Many of our properties have a member of staff or security guard on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to ensure help is always at hand. Our properties are also equipped with electronic door entry systems, intercoms and CCTV ensure that everyone who lives with us enjoys a high standard of security and the safest possible environment.

What happens if I have a maintenance problem?

Every Capitol Students home has a dedicated caretaker team to attend to any maintenance issues. The team will respond to every issue quickly and, if possible, will complete the repair during the first visit.

What does fully-furnished kitchen mean?

Capitol Students aims to provide everything you’d need to live comfortably in your new home. Our kitchens are equipped with necessary cooking appliances: cooker, hob, kettle, toaster and microwave*. Some accommodations also provide cutlery, crockery and cooking utensils.

*Please check with your chosen location for full details as appliances can vary from property to property.

Do I need to move out during the holidays?

Your contract is fixed for a certain amount of time – so your room is yours throughout that period. That means that you don’t have to worry about moving out during Christmas or Easter vacations, and you can choose to stay in your accommodation over these holidays if you wish. It’s also possible to book additional accommodation over the summer period but we advise you to book early to avoid disappointment.

Can’t find what you are looking for?